John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Man made himself the enemy of God when he chose sin (Romans 5:10), but God had no desire to remain man’s enemy so He provided the ultimate solution. Instead of returning man’s hatred, the Bible says that “God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). The Lord knew man could never justly find salvation through his own merits and works (Titus 3:5). God knew man could never be reconciled on his own. Rather than simply allow countless multitudes to go to hell without hope, the Lord determined to provide Himself as the sacrifice for man’s sin. Man would not be dependent upon his own faulty righteousness, but on the righteousness of the spotless Lamb of God (1 Peter 1:18-20).
- (For children): Jesus had no sin (1 John 3:5). He loved us and died for our sins (Revelation 1:5). He offers you the greatest trade of all time (2 Corinthians 5:21). He is the only way to be saved (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).
- (For everyone): Why did man require the sacrifice of God’s Son? What moved God to send His Son? What must man do to be reconciled to the God he offended by choosing to sin?
- How would the world be different had God refused to give His Son? How would your life be different had God not sent His Son for you?
- Ask God to help you realize your need if you are not saved.
- Thank God for His offer of salvation through His Son.
SONG: THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD IS JESUS