Malachi 2:16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.Introductory Thoughts
God tells us in His word that He never intended for a marriage to end in divorce. He desires for one man and one woman to remain together until death parts the two asunder. Divorce would be nonexistent apart from sin (Mark 10:5). Just as God hates sin, He also hates the results of sin. Instead of recognizing God’s true feelings for divorce, men often seek to justify their sinful choices suggesting that God understands and would not want them to remain in an unhappy environment. As sin increases, men’s opinions concerning divorce continue to drift away from God. Years ago, communities, families, and churches frowned upon the act of divorce; however, today divorce has become accepted as the norm rather than the exception. Unfortunately, divorce is not only accepted in the world but readily accepted in the pew and the pulpit.
• (For children): Ruth’s mind was made up to never leave her mother-in-law (Ruth 1:16-17). How much more should a husband and wife have this type of commitment (whom God has brought together and made one). Read His command in 1 Corinthians 7: 10, 11c.
• (For everyone): What is God’s viewpoint of divorce? What is your viewpoint of divorce? Why is it imperative that your viewpoint match God’s viewpoint?
• What is the perception of your home when it comes to divorce? What about the perception of your church? How can faulty perceptions lead you to make wrong choices?
• Ask the Lord to help you adopt His view of divorce.
• Ask God to strengthen your home.
SONG: CHRIST LIVETH IN ME