Deuteronomy 8:1 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers.
2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
Careless Bible students often make wrongful assumptions for the purpose of God’s interaction with man. One such example involves the reasoning for Israel’s wilderness wanderings. Several alternative explanations might be supposed, but the Bible emphasizes one primary purpose, that of humility. Moses declared this truth to the people when he said, “thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee . . . to humble thee.” He quickly added that God “humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna.” Deuteronomy 8:16 reemphasizes this truth: “Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee.” The Lord selected Israel’s trials and troublesome path in order to humble them. Truth is frequently that simple but missed by those who read the Bible with preconceived philosophies and concepts.
· (For children): If mom or dad doesn’t feel well, you should play quietly and try not to argue with your brothers or sisters. This may seem difficult, but God may use these times to test your willingness to obey both Him and your parents.
· (For everyone): The Lord chose the path of the Israelites in order to humble them. Why would people who had just been delivered from bondage need to be humbled?
· Is it possible that the Lord allows us to go through trials to keep us humble? How can trials, if handled properly, work humility into the heart of those afflicted by those troubles?
· Ask the Lord to lead you in the path that He wants for your life and then reveal how much He loves you by allowing these trials to take place.
· Ask God to keep you humble in the ways He sees fit.
Song: He Leadeth Me