Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
The Devil would have man believe that hiding from problems provides an adequate solution. This is a lie! Adam and Eve created problems for themselves by partaking of the fruit. Their initial efforts to resolve the problem further confirmed that they had created an unresolved situation of their own doing. As they heard the voice of the Lord walking in the garden, they hid themselves amongst the trees in hopes that these efforts would protect them in some way. They hoped the problem would pass unnoticed without them having to face the fact that they had sinned against the Lord. The Lord would not allow them to hide; instead, He called for Adam to show himself resulting in both Adam and Eve directly facing the problem.
- (For children): When God’s people conquered Jericho, Joshua had warned them earlier not to take anything for themselves (Joshua 6:18). Achan took a garment and some money. He thought by hiding it in his tent, he would not get caught. God knew all about his sin (Joshua 7:11, 19-22; Jeremiah 16:17; Proverbs 28:13).
- (For everyone): Have you ever had a problem and thought that hiding from the problem would make it go away? How did that work for you? Did the problem get better or grow worse?
- Why is it so important that we face our problems? What can happen to them if we face them? What can happen if we attempt to hide from them?
- Ask the Lord to give you boldness to face your problems.
- Ask God to help you see that hiding does not solve problems.
SONG: GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU