Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
Biblically speaking, a man’s name is equal to his character (Proverbs 22:1). This is why God’s character is often defined by His name. Faithful and true are two words that describe the very nature of God, but they are also names by which the Son of God will be called at His second advent (Revelation 19:11). Even the name Jesus was associated with the person and work of our Lord (Matthew 1:21). These names, and many more like them, are well known to believers, but few know that the Lord’s name is also said to be Jealous. Why? Because that is who He is! He is the One true and living God who demands man’s sole attention. Just as He is Faithful and True, God is also Jealous.
• (For children): God does not want us to put anything or anyone before Him. He is jealous of such things (2 Chronicles 16:7-9; 2 Kings 1:2-4). David knew to whom he should go (1 Chronicles 14:8-16) as did Hezekiah (2 Kings 19:14-16; 2 Kings 20:1-3).
• (For everyone): What are some ways in which you put other things before the Lord? How can this happen with your time, strength, and money? How would this provoke the Lord to jealousy?
• Why do men give more time and attention to names like Faithful and True while neglecting the fact that the Lord’s name is Jealous? What does this suggest about man?
• Ask God to teach you the beauties of His name.
• Ask the Lord to help you live for His pleasure.
SONG: HOLY AND REVEREND IS THE NAME