2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
As the world, the flesh, and the Devil war against the truth and those who propagate the truth, believers must determine to hold fast to the very words under attack. The apostle Paul expressed this truth to two young preachers. The verse above shows that Paul admonished Timothy to “hold fast the form of sound words” which he had heard from Paul. He also admonished Titus and all those desiring the office of a bishop to hold “fast the faithful word” (Titus 1:9). As the battle for men’s minds and souls rages, the ultimate objective is to get believers to turn loose of the words of life. Those desiring to deceive use various means with the propagation of false doctrine being one of their primary tools. Each believer must diligently hold fast the faithful, sound words given by God.
- (For children): To “hold fast” means to continue in the truth that you have learned from others and from the Bible (2 Timothy 1:5; 2 Timothy 3:14-16). Like Ezra, each of us should have a heart for the word of God (Ezra 7:10).
- (For everyone): What is the best way to stand against false doctrine? How likely are you to accept false doctrine while holding fast the form of sound words?
- What does it mean to hold something fast? How can you hold fast the word of God? How could this also help others to avoid the snare of false doctrine?
- Ask the Lord to help you hold fast His word.
- Ask God to protect you and your family from false doctrine.
SONG: I’LL NOT GIVE UP THE BIBLE