Deuteronomy 15:7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
The Bible says that “The poor is hated even of his own neighbour” (Proverbs 14:20). In fact, his wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard (Ecclesiastes 9:16). His friends go far from him, and his brethren hate him (Proverbs 19:7). But this should not be the case amongst believers. Instead, believers should defend the poor (Psalm 82:3). They should open their ears to the cries of the poor (Proverbs 21:13) and deliver them in time of trouble (Psalm 41:1). Believers must realize that their treatment of the poor is directly related to their relationship with the Lord (Proverbs 19:17; Proverbs 17:5). Even in the New Testament, Paul was admonished to “remember the poor” (Galatians 2:10).
• (For children): Job knew that he was to help the poor (Job 31:13-22). Jesus told the rich young ruler to help the poor (Matthew 19:21). Helping the poor is one of the ways to show that we truly love the Lord (James 2:15-20; Proverbs 14:31).
• (For everyone): What are some ways in which you can help those who are poor? Why is it dangerous to help those whose poverty came because of ungodly behaviour?
• Are you required to help all who do not have the same financial benefits that you possess? What are man’s basic needs as defined by the Bible? How does this affect how you help others?
• Ask God to give you wisdom when helping the poor.
• Ask the Lord to give you a heart for those in need.
SONG: FOOTPRINTS OF JESUS