Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
We have already learned that our joy is to be found in the Lord and this joy is a special gift from above. With this truth foundational to our study, what are some things that we can do as believers that will bring us lasting joy? Far too many people think joy surfaces once the stresses of life cease or at least begin to diminish. Yet, the Bible teaches that joy can be found only in faithfully serving the Lord. Today’s verse reveals that the disciples found joy through what God had done in and through them! Considering a few more scriptural examples of joy should help to solidify our mindset concerning this subject. The Bible records great joy as the people of God willingly sacrificed to the Lord (1 Chronicles 29:17). Proverbs 21:15 reveals that “It is joy to the just to do judgment.” The book of Luke tells us that there is joy in heaven when one sinner repents (Luke 15:7). From these and other examples, we know that true joy will be found when we willingly serve the Lord God, but never in the things of this world.
· (For children): Heaven will be a place full of joy with no sin, sickness, or even sadness, etc. The Bible teaches that in heaven God’s servants shall serve Him (Revelation 22:3). We will be serving in heaven, yet true joy on earth right now also comes from doing what God wants us to do.
· (For everyone): When is the last time you witnessed to someone you knew was lost? When is the last time you gave financially toward the work of a missionary? These things and similar actions are the things that will bring you lasting joy.
· Would you rather spend time doing your favorite hobby or serving the Lord? Be honest! What does your answer tell you about your heart’s condition?
· Ask God to show you the things in life that bring true lasting joy.
· Ask the Lord to help you get your priorities in order.
Song: Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken