John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Since the beginning of time, men have been ignorant of the bondage which so tightly grips them. They think so highly of themselves that they refuse to believe anyone could ever hold them against their will. It is for this reason that men find little use for the truth. The truth makes men free, but surely men are free already. This is not the case! Men are in bondage. This is not referring to a physical bondage but a spiritual one. Simply put, men without Christ are imprisoned souls in great need of deliverance. This deliverance comes only when truth is received. Initially, men might think that truth binds men, but a man enlightened by the truth knows nothing could be farther from the truth.
• (For children): Man is in bondage because without being saved he is already condemned (John 3:16-18). We can rejoice that the Lord is the truth (John 14:6) and makes us free (Romans 5:9; Romans 8:1-3, 11; Hebrews 2:14-15).
• (For everyone): Have you put your faith in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ? How has that truth made you free? How does this relate to John 8:36?
• Are you free? If you are free, have you thanked the Lord for His Son (John 8:36) and His truth (John 8:32) that made you free? If you remain in bondage, call upon the Lord Jesus before it is too late.
• Thank God for the truth that made you free.
• Ask God to show others the truth He has shown to you.
SONG: AND CAN IT BE, THAT I SHOULD GAIN?