Ezra 9:13 And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;
Most people fail to realize that when man sins, he sins against God. For this reason, man deserves the severest of judgments from his holy and just Creator. Because of our sin, each of us deserves to suffer eternally, along with suffering troubles continually in this life. Although no person is excluded from troubles, saints have historically understood that God extends mercy as He divvies out life’s trials. Ezra declared this truth by saying, “And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this” (Ezra 9:13). David testified the same truth when he said, “He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities” (Psalm 103:10).
• (For children): The following people deserved death for their sin, but God was merciful: Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:21-24); Jacob (Genesis 32:10); David (2 Samuel 12:13). Take note that God has also been merciful to each of us (Lamentations 3:21-23; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5).
• (For everyone): Think back to some of the things that you have done contrary to righteous living. What do you deserve? How could you testify with the psalmist that God has not dealt with you after your sins?
• Has God been good to you? Have you been a partaker of His grace and mercy? Have you thanked Him for His goodness?
• Thank the Lord for His mercy.
• Thank God for the trials you are allowed to endure for Him.
SONG: AMAZING GRACE