Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
Time is short! The time of Christ’s return is approaching quickly (Romans 13:11-12). There is no time for petty strife amongst believers. This is not the time to stir up the troops one against another, but rather the time to rally them under the same banner admonishing them to adorn the same armour (Romans 13:12). This is the time for believers to walk honestly (Romans 13:13). The battle has been raging for some time, and this battle leaves no time for participation in the rioting and drunkenness found in society (Romans 13:13). There is far too much at stake. The believers who choose to participate in strife and envy may feel as though they are winning the battle, but they fail to realize how they are losing the war. It is time for believers to crucify the flesh and serve Christ (Romans 13:14).
• (For children): The church at Philippi was a good church. Paul wanted it to stay that way. In his letter to them, Paul mentioned two women by name who could not get along and told them to be of the same mind (Philippians 4:2). Their strife hurt the church and needed to be addressed.
• (For everyone): What are you supposed to be doing for the Lord (i.e., witnessing, praying, studying the Bible, ministering to others)? Why would anyone choose to spend their time and strength stirring up strife?
• As Christ’s return draws nearer, God’s people should get more serious about the things of God. Are you growing increasingly serious about serving God?
• Ask the Lord to awake you from carnality.
• Ask God to renew your zeal to serve Him.
SONG: I AM RESOLVED