1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
In the last days, believers must remain alert. There is no time for sleeping. For it is while believers sleep that the enemy works most effectively. Even the Lord Jesus acknowledged the great need of the day when He said, “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work” (John 9:4). Just as it was in the days of Gideon (Judges 7:5-7), the Lord wants soldiers who are fully aware of their surroundings. A sober minded believer keeps his eyes open, knowing he has an enemy that is on the prowl and ready to devour (1 Peter 5:8). The sober minded believer also knows that one lapse in judgment can cause immense damage during the spiritual battle. Sobriety keeps every reality in the forefront of the mind.
- (For children): The Devil can attack our minds (tempting us to do wrong or think wrong) or attack us through others. No matter what, we are to be good soldiers, keeping our minds on what God wants us to do (2 Timothy 2:3-4).
- (For everyone): What are some ways in which sobriety would be a necessity during a physical war or skirmish? How could you be harmed by fellowsoldiers who were not sober?
- How does sobriety help the believer in his spiritual warfare (1 Thessalonians 5:8)? How does it keep him safe when the enemy attacks (1 Peter 5:8)?
- Thank the Lord for offering help in the spiritual battle.
- Ask the Lord to constantly remind you to be watchful.
SONG: AM I A SOLDIER OF THE CROSS?