Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Truth is a crucial piece in the believer’s armour. Truth is given with the purpose of girding the loins (the area between the lowest ribs and the hipbone). A conscientious study of scripture reveals that girding one’s loins prepped the individual for swift and free movement (Exodus 12:11; 1 Kings 18:46; 2 Kings 4:29). It only makes sense then that God would tell the believer to gird his loins with truth. Truth frees a man from the entanglements hindering his ability to fight spiritual battles. Similarly, the Bible says of Christ that “righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins” (Isaiah 11:5). Just as righteousness will aid Christ when He comes to battle, truth multiplies the believer’s skill in warfare.
• (For children): How can you be ready for battle? A good start is knowing God’s word and keeping your heart right (Psalm 119:9-11; 2 Timothy 2:21). Jesus used the truth (John 17:17) against the Devil (Luke 4:1-13).
• (For everyone): Are your loins girt about with truth? Is the truth helping you daily as you fight against the world, the flesh, and the Devil? If not, who is to blame for this failure?
• Study girdles in the Bible. What are some uses for girdles? What can you learn about girding your loins with truth from your study on girdles?
• Thank God for so graciously giving the truth.
• Ask the Lord to help you see the necessity of truth.
SONG: OUR BEST