2 Samuel 23:13 And three of the thirty chief went down, and came to David in the harvest time unto the cave of Adullam: and the troop of the Philistines pitched in the valley of Rephaim.
14 And David was then in an hold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem.
15 And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!
16 And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LORD.
17 And he said, Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men.
Loyalty is a beautiful trait. Loyalty leads men to do significant things for others although the reasons for doing so could be considered insignificant. The actions of David’s men offer a prime example when David was in exile from his throne. Perhaps David was simply reminiscing when he mentioned his longing for a drink of water from the well of Bethlehem. Why not get a drink from any well? What was so special about the water from Bethlehem’s well? Regardless of these minor details, three of David’s mighty men heard the desire of their king. Their loyalty compelled them to go. These men had to break through the host of the Philistines in order to get the water from the well of David’s desire. They risked their lives and for what? Was it merely a drink of water? To them it was much more than that—it was a special loyalty they each had for their king!
- (For children): Jonathan’s armourbearer was loyal to him and willing to go with Jonathan to attack a garrison of the Philistines (1 Samuel 14:6-14). Ruth was loyal to Naomi and returned with her to Bethlehem although Ruth was a complete stranger. She would also have to work hard in order to support Naomi (Ruth 1:14-17).
- (For everyone): Loyalty for David caused the mighty men to risk their lives. What has your loyalty for the Lord Jesus Christ caused you to do? Would loyalty send you to some field of service for the Lord?
- Why did David’s men break through the hosts of the Philistines? What had David done for them that caused them to be loyal? What has the Lord done for you? Are you loyal toward Him?
- Thank the Lord for dying on the cross for your sins.
- Ask God to make you a mighty man for him.
SONG: MY JESUS, I LOVE THEE