John 6:43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.
The Lord detests murmuring. He hates it so much that He sent fire among the Israelites because of their murmurings (Numbers 11:1). In the New Testament, He warned believers to avoid falling prey to the same sin as the Israelites (1 Corinthians 10:1-14). Additionally, New Testament believers are admonished to do all things without murmurings (Philippians 2:14-16). People murmur as they focus on events within their lives rather than upon the Lord and His word. Yet, the Christian’s life events are ultimately brought to pass, either directly or indirectly, by a loving and caring God. The Lord abhors murmuring because it directly insults His working and provision in our lives.
· (For children): God promised His people a new land. Yet they chose to believe that they could not overcome the walled cities and giants. They murmured in their tents (Numbers 14:1-2). God despised their murmuring and allowed those who did not believe to die in the wilderness.
· (For everyone): Do you murmur? Do you murmur before others? What kind of a testimony do you think this gives to a world that needs Jesus? Does your murmuring please or greatly displease the Lord?
· What events have ever come into your life without the Lord allowing them to take place? Who are you ultimately complaining against when you murmur?
· Ask God to show you the serious nature of your murmurings.
· Ask the Lord to help you understand His hatred for murmuring.