Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
The home was God’s first institution. God gave specific instructions on how the home was to be ordered. In any home dedicated to God’s service, each individual has a responsibility to be accountable in the area of obedience. First and foremost, a father or husband is to be obedient to the headship of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 11:3). Second, the mother or wife is accountable to submit to the authority of her husband (Genesis 3:16; Ephesians 5:22; Colossians 3:18; Titus 2:4-5). Lastly, the children are to obey their parents in the Lord (Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20). The home failing to follow God’s plan could possibly have some limited success but will ultimately experience great difficulties. Yet, God will faithfully bless the Christian home where each member submits to his or her God-given authorities.
· (For children): When God says, “Children, obey your parents,” to whom is He referring? Some children recognize they must obey dad, but mom seems so kind that they think they do not have to obey her. It is important to realize that when you disobey either of them, you are disobeying God.
· (For everyone): What is your role in the home? What could you do to make sure that your home knows the joys that God intended for it?
· Why is it so important that we follow God’s plan in our home? What could go wrong if God’s order is ignored in your home? Are you doing your best to be faithfully obedient?
· Ask the Lord to show you the importance of your role in the home.
· Ask God to help you faithfully obey those in authority over you.
Song: Trust and Obey