Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Sin develops, plots, schemes, and finalizes its dastardly deeds within the heart of the guilty long before the sin manifests itself to the eyes of others. Before a man steals the heart of an individual not belonging to him, he determines to do so within his heart. Before a man breaks into the home of another man and takes something that does not belong to him, he decides to do so in his heart. Before a man steals time or supplies from his company, he chooses to do so in his heart. Before a man determines to keep back something belonging to God, he premeditates the act within his heart. Therefore, a man should determine to get right with God before the sin of his heart manifests itself to the hurt of others.
• (For children): The things we choose to do begin in the heart (Proverbs 4:23; Proverbs 23:7a) and everyone’s heart is wicked (Jeremiah 17:9). For instance, the Bible says that a thief marks his house beforehand (Job 24:14, 16). Only God can help us do right (Psalm 119:11; Proverbs 4:20-27; Jeremiah 4:14).
• (For everyone): Why is it important to realize that sin originates within the heart? How does this enable a man to change his mind and direction before he performs the act of his heart?
• Are you presently taking something that does not belong to you? How long has that sin been festering in your heart? Will you get it right and stop taking what is not yours?
• Ask God to slow the process between the hidden and visible sins.
• Ask the Lord to keep you from the sin of stealing.
SONG: COME TO THE SAVIOUR NOW!