Acts 13:7 Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
The apostle Paul, through the leading of the Holy Ghost, made his way through Paphos preaching God’s word. While in that country, Paul faced great resistance especially from the likes of a false prophet named Bar-jesus. Yet, in the midst of this chaos, the Bible mentions a prudent man named Sergius Paulus, the deputy of the country. He desired to hear the message preached by God’s man. Sergius Paulus wanted to hear the truth because a prudent man desires to hear it no matter the opposition and the attempts to silence the words of God. Unfortunately, there seem to be many more people like the false prophet today. They want little or nothing to do with the word of God. Yet, a prudent man, whether he agrees or disagrees with what he hears, will desire to hear the words of God. He then ponders those words as he makes his decisions concerning his daily life and eternal destination.
- (For children): When Cornelius learned that Peter could tell him what God wanted him to do, Cornelius immediately sent for Peter. He gathered his family and friends to hear all the things that God commanded Peter to tell them. Are you that excited to hear God’s words?
- (For everyone): Do you desire to hear more of God’s word? Do you long to read and hear the passages that deal with your sins and shortcomings?
- What are some reasons why Bar-jesus resisted Paul’s efforts to preach the word? Are you guilty of the same things? Do you ever try to quench the effect of the word of God in your life?
- Ask the Lord to give you an unquenchable love for His word.
- Ask God to help you receive His word above all else.
Song: More About Jesus