2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
Giving must be purposeful and does not happen by accident. Before giving to the Lord, the Christian must first purpose in his heart to willingly give. Not only must he purpose in his heart to give, but he must also purpose what and when to give. Furthermore, he must purpose to give according to his ability and to give faithfully. These are important elements that each believer should constantly address. Failure to consider these important aspects breeds confusion and allows the Devil to deter that man from obedience. Each believer or family unit should sit down and purpose with God’s leading what and when to give. Then each believer should faithfully give as the Lord leads and as that individual or family has purposed in heart.
- (For children): Read Genesis 28:22b. Jacob made a decision in his heart and promised to give God back a tenth of all that God gave to him. Like Jacob, we should have a heart that desires to give back to God because everything belongs to Him anyway.
- (For everyone): How does it help to first purpose in your heart? How does that make it more likely that you will give according to God’s will for your life?
- Do you generally purpose in your heart what and when to give? What have you purposed to give? Is your plan in line with God’s plan? Are you faithfully fulfilling God’s will in this area of your life?
- Ask the Lord to help you purpose to give.
- Ask God to help you to be faithful to give as you have purposed.