Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
Far too many believers live with a skewed perspective concerning God’s expectations. They desperately desire to do some “great thing” for the Lord. They ponder on thoughts of what would cause God to take notice of them and gain His favour. Would selling everything and going to the mission field help? Do they need to quit their job and go into full-time Christian service? Do they need to travel in order to spread the gospel far and wide? No doubt this serves as the Lord’s will for some, but one’s intent needs to be God-focused and not self-centered. Regardless of one’s calling, God has given Christians a great way to give Him a well-pleasing sacrifice. Today’s passage mentions the fruit of our lips as a means of giving thanks to God and calls it a sacrifice of praise. Maybe the Lord does have “great things” in store for your life, but offering Him a sacrifice of praise serves as the best place to begin.
- (For children): Read Psalm 126:3. Name some great things God has done for you. Would you like to do something for Him that He considers great? You can do so by just saying, “Thank you” (Psalm 107:21-22). That pleases Him.
- (For everyone): Do you wish to give the Lord something special? Do you want to do something that would be pleasing to Him? Are you willing to offer Him thanks as a precious sacrifice?
- Why are we so ready to focus on the “great things,” yet seem so hesitant to do the things that God asks? This may be our nature (2 Kings 5:13), but it greatly displeases the Lord.
- Ask God to help you thank Him for who He is and what He does.
- Give God a sacrifice of praise by thanking Him.
Song: O Worship the King