Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
The Bible reflects the special relationship that should exist between a husband and his wife. The Lord wants us to recognize the importance of this relationship by likening it to the Lord’s relationship with His church. Three times the Lord commands the man to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He commanded this because He knew man’s biggest problem would be faithfully and unconditionally loving his wife. The Lord was not one-sided in His commandments concerning the marriage relationship. He commanded that the woman in the marriage relationship should obey her husband. Our passage also says that she should reverence him. A woman craves the love of her husband. Likewise, the man needs respect from the woman God gave him. A godly wife will not belittle or humiliate her husband but instead show him respect as the head of their home.
• (For children): Would it be fun to play the game “follow the leader” if everyone wanted to be the leader? No, if everyone tried to lead, the game would simply devolve into confusion and probably fighting. God set up the order of leadership within the home so our homes would be happy: dad first, mom second, and children last.
• (For everyone): In what ways can a wife ensure that she reverences her husband? What can a wife learn about reverence from 1 Peter 3:1-6? What does it mean to truly reverence your husband?
• Why should a wife reverence her husband? Of all the reasons, which reason is the most important? To whom will you have to give account for any disobedience in this area?
• Ask the Lord to make your home pleasing to Him.
• Ask the Lord help you love your wife or reverence your husband.
SONG: Have I Done My Best for Jesus?