Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Sobriety helps the believer “not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think.” In other words, it keeps him grounded rather than haughty. Pride is one of the greatest destructive forces in the world. Pride led to the fall of Satan and will likewise destroy the believer’s walk with the Lord along with his testimony before others. Sobriety is a companion to gravity (1 Timothy 3:11; Titus 2:2) and causes a believer to perceive himself as he really is. The Devil fell when he began to think more highly of himself (Isaiah 14:12-14). In his heart, he thought to exalt his throne and be like the most High. If the believer is not sober, he too can begin to think thoughts of pride. Just as it was with Satan, this pride will be his downfall.
- (For children): What can you do well: sing, play an instrument, draw, color, memorize scripture? God wants us to seriously consider and contemplate the things we can do well so that we do not become prideful. Learn early to give all credit to the Lord (1 Corinthians 4:7; Galatians 6:14).
- (For everyone): How does the law of gravity physically keep men grounded on the earth? How does sobriety and gravity keep men spiritually grounded?
- Do you think more highly of yourself than you ought to think? Does God have to humble you, or do you willingly humble yourself?
- Ask God to help you embrace humility and sound thinking.
- Thank God for reminding you of who you truly are.
SONG: I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR