Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
The unity of believers is likened to a cord woven together. Like a threefold cord, unified believers are stronger and better able to endure the attacks from their enemies (Ecclesiastes 4:12). In Proverbs 6:16-19, the Lord gives a list of things He hates, one of which is when a man sows “discord among brethren.” What does it mean to sow “discord”? Perhaps the illustration given above sheds the necessary light for an answer. When believers are united, they are like multiple cords woven together. When someone sows discord, he attempts to undo or “discord” the threefold cord destroying the unity. Believers void of unity are weaker and more vulnerable to the attacks of the enemy.
- (For children): One little grain of sand cannot do much by itself. Yet, when it stands together with other grains of sand, Jeremiah 5:22 says they can hold back the ocean. God’s people can likewise accomplish much more work for Him when they are united together.
- (For everyone): What are some ways in which you can sow discord among brethren? How does the Lord feel about this work? How can it harm others? How could you make this right with those you have hurt?
- How can believers, like a threefold cord, be stronger when united? How does unity assist in accountability and service for the Lord?
- Ask the Lord to forgive you for sowing discord.
- Ask God to show you the strength of unity.