2 Timothy 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
Fear and discouragement are effective weapons in Satan’s arsenal which he uses to discourage the people of God from fulfilling the will of God for their lives. Fear is not all bad. The fear of God is good and holy, but the fear of the world withstands faith and brings the believer into bondage (Proverbs 29:25). Fear and faith are foes as are fear and courage. In 2 Timothy 1:6-8, the Bible points out that the Lord is not the instigator of fear in the life of the believer. In the place of fear, God gives men power, love, and a sound mind. God wants men to be courageous and full of faith. Yet, the fear of man exhibits a lack of courage. It frequently hinders believers from doing the Lord’s work and gives the impression that believers are ashamed of the Lord and His people.
- (For children): Memorize Isaiah 41:10a, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee.” When God wants you to give someone a tract, invite him to attend church, or tell him what Jesus did for him, try to remember this promise from God.
- (For everyone): Do fears overcome you when trying to serve God? Do you fear telling others that you are a Christian? Who tries to keep you from doing these things for the Lord?
- Think for a moment: have you ever noticed how talking about the weather, sports, or work seems easier than talking about spiritual matters? Do you become scared when God impresses upon your heart to talk to someone about the Lord? Which of these subjects is most likely to help others? How do you think those other subjects can help you to talk to others about the Lord?
- What are some of your fears in serving the Lord? Ask Him to help you overcome those fears and take courage in doing His work.
- Ask the Lord to direct your path toward someone in need of hearing the gospel this week. Ask Him to give you the words to say. Pray that this person will have the courage to trust Christ as his or her Saviour.