Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Tradition robs men of the blessings only derived from one’s obedience to the truth. The word spoil is a term used during wartime meaning that one side in a battle breaks forth into the territory of the other side and takes their valuable possessions. According to scripture, philosophies and deceit based upon the traditions of men rob the saint of God of the benefits offered by merely accepting the truths of the word of God. The price of spoiling is high. For the lost, they can be spoiled of their eternal life by accepting the traditions (false gospels) and philosophies (evolution) of men. For the saved, they can lose some eternal rewards by the acceptance of traditions contrary to the plain truths of scripture.
- (For children): Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven (John 14:6; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4). The Galatians were fooled by those who said Christ was not sufficient because they needed to keep the law too. Paul told them this was not true (Galatians 3:1, 10-13; Galatians 2:16, 20-21).
- (For everyone): What are some ways in which you could be spoiled by accepting the traditions of men? What can you do to insure this does not happen?
- Name some people in scripture who were spoiled by the traditions of men. Did those men or women ever recover what had been taken from them?
- Ask the Lord to protect you from the spoiling of man’s tradition.
- Ask God for wisdom in the area of traditions.
SONG: LOYALTY TO CHRIST