Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
The first chapter of Romans concludes with a list of horrendous sins. These sins reveal people who were completely void of the relationship God intended for His creation. Most believers could never imagine the possibility of being guilty of the sins of sodomy (Romans 1:26-27), murder (Romans 1:29), and hating the Lord (Romans 1:30). Yet, egregious sins begin through a rather simple process. The list in Romans reveals that the downward spiral begins when men fail to glorify God and refuse to give Him thanks (Romans 1:21). Sadly, many of God’s people are laying the groundwork for a downward spiral into further degradation. Becoming a child of God empowers the Christian but does not eliminate his freedom to choose his path, right or wrong. Unfortunately, traveling the wrong path can lead a Christian into the depths of inexpressible depravity.
- (For children): The Israelites were not thankful for how God had blessed them (Ezekiel 16:17-19). Instead, they took God’s blessings and focused their attention upon idols that had no power to help them (Psalm 115:4-7). Unthankfulness eventually causes even those with scriptural knowledge to turn away from God.
- (For everyone): Do you faithfully give God thanks for the things within your life? Do you take time to give Him credit for the blessings as well as the trials that draw you close to Him?
- How do you think someone ends up committing the sins mentioned at the end of Romans chapter 1? Is it possible that failing to repent of unthankfulness could lead you into such wickedness?
- Ask the Lord to identify any unthankfulness within your heart and life.
- Ask the Lord to protect you from the sins of Romans chapter 1.
Song: I Am Resolved