Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Man-made religions have always unwisely taught followers to establish their own righteousness. In the garden in Eden, Adam and Eve clothed themselves with fig leaves in an attempt to cover their nakedness caused by sin. Men built the tower of Babel hoping that this device could help them reach into heaven. The Bible describes man’s righteousness as “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6). Today’s passage tells of a people who went about to establish their own righteousness by refusing to submit to God’s righteousness. Man-made religions all err in the same way. They think that some work or act of obedience can somehow establish a level of righteousness that will ultimately and eventually satisfy God. Yet, the Bible points out the repeated futility of failing to submit to the righteousness of God.
• (For children): God is holy, perfect, and righteous. In order to get to heaven on our own, we would need to keep each of God’s laws. Have you ever lied or disobeyed your parents? No one but Jesus kept all of God’s laws. Because He satisfied God’s demand (sinless perfection), He sacrificed Himself on the cross to pay for our sins. Only by believing and trusting in Him can we get to heaven.
• (For everyone): Upon what are you depending to get you to heaven? Upon what are you depending to gain favour with the Lord? If you are counting on your works, you will be eternally disappointed.
• What use are filthy rags? What does this tell you about the greatness of your righteousness? The only way to please God is to submit to His righteousness.
• Ask God to show you when you are trusting in your own righteousness.
• Ask the Lord to help you accept His righteousness.
SONG: Take My Life, and Let It Be