1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
A godly mother and grandmother helped raise Timothy by teaching him the truths of God’s word (2 Timothy 1:5; 2 Timothy 3:15). Paul wrote to Timothy specifically warning him in 1 Timothy chapter 4 concerning the dangers of the last days (i.e., the doctrines of devils, fables, and unedifying quarrels). In the midst of these warnings, Paul reminded Timothy to take heed unto himself. Timothy needed to guard against troubles from without while diligently taking care of his own walk with Christ. The Old Testament further reinforces these truths. The children of Israel were told to keep their souls diligently (Deuteronomy 4:9) and Solomon instructed his son to keep his heart “with all diligence” (Proverbs 4:23). Every Christian should carefully and zealously guard his walk with the Lord.
· (For children): Psalm 119:11 reveals how to keep from doing wrong. Do you desire to learn and memorize scripture so that you can live right and escape sin?
· (For everyone): Are you keeping your heart right? Are you daily seeking to fill your mind and heart with the words of God? Do you consistently pray for strength to resist Satan and his attacks?
· Do you find that you worry about the spirituality of others? Do you find that you often compare yourself with others? Are these thoughts beneficial or detrimental to your walk with Christ?
· Ask God to show you the condition of your heart. Ask Him to reveal the level of diligence with which you are keeping your heart.
· Pray that the Lord will give you the wisdom to know when worldly attacks are waged against your heart.
SONG: More Love to Thee