1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
Athletes understand the importance of being temperate in their training. They incorporate a variety of exercises to strengthen each body part thus maximizing their potential. Limiting training to one aspect causes the athlete to lose his edge. It is important to realize that exercise is only one part of the training regimen. For instance, no serious athlete ignores the importance of a balanced diet rich in nutrients. Dedicated athletes strive for a corruptible crown by implementing temperance in all things. Believers seeking a spiritually incorruptible crown should learn from the athletes who incorporate temperance. An athlete missing out at the finish line results in sadness. The Christian’s failure to incorporate balance will cause him to lose rewards at the judgment seat of Christ. This is the greater loss.
• (For children): Discuss Proverbs 25:16, Proverbs 20:13a, and Mark 6:31. God wants us to have a proper balance. Some children who love to sing have trouble listening to the message. Children need to learn to do both. God chose preaching to make known His word and to save people.
• (For everyone): What are some ways to implement temperance within your Christian life? What troubles might exist if you fail to be temperate in your service to the Lord?
• Do you balance Bible reading and prayer? Do you balance compassion with your zeal? Do you exemplify temperance in the way you treat others?
• Ask the Lord to help you balance your walk with Him.
• Ask God to show you the importance of each part of your walk.
SONG: Have I Done My Best for Jesus?