2 Timothy 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
Dedicated soldiers are a dying breed, especially amongst Christians. Few people endure when the going gets tough or obstacles surface. The average Christian believes that God’s will involves no hurdles. In the secular world, drill sergeants, employers, and teachers spend a great deal of time and effort trying to instill discipline into those who grew up lacking character with little desire to succeed. This lack of character affects us all. Good soldiers endure hardness. They do not quit in the service of the Lord because of trials and tribulations. Neither do they allow themselves to be entangled in the affairs of this life. Their main desire is to please the very one who chose them to be a soldier in the first place.
- (For children): Read about David’s mighty men (2 Samuel 23:8-12). They did not quit during hard battles. God does not want us to quit serving Him when we have troubles (1 Kings 2:2-3; 1 Corinthians 16:13; 2 Thessalonians 2:15).
- (For everyone): What might be some of the difficulties faced by a soldier in the armed forces? What would a drill sergeant do to prepare a soldier to endure these difficulties? What should we do to be better soldiers?
- How does a soldier who quits lose the confidence of his fellow soldiers? How could you lose the confidence of brothers and sister in Christ when you quit on the Lord?
- Thank the Lord for calling you to be a soldier.
- Ask the Lord to help you endure hardness.
Quotes from the next volume
(VOLUME 3, WEEK 49)
Many of the traditions of men are in direct opposition to scripture. These traditions cannot be readily accepted by the saints of God who have pledged allegiance to the scripture.
Like in the days of old, God has given the church faithful men who are charged with warning the saints about accepting fables that turn believers from the truth.
The present generation has been handed some wonderful traditions from the previous generations. Those most precious are directly found in scripture while others are founded upon scriptural principles.