Titus 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.
False teachers are extremely dangerous because they undermine truth! Their rotten fruit may not surface for some time, but when allowed to continue unchecked, they will deceive individuals, whole families, and good churches. Paul warned Titus that such teachers had already seen some success and that their mouths must be stopped. Regretfully, whole houses had already been subverted with the false teachers still at work. A similar situation is recorded in Acts 15:24 where the saints of God were “troubled” by the words of false teachers. There is no telling how many of God’s people have walked away from sound doctrine because of false teachers. Worse yet, how many souls are burning right now in hell because they trusted in a false gospel?
- (For children): False teachers taught that the dead rise not. Paul said if that were true, our faith is vain and we would be miserable (1 Corinthians 15:12, 16-19). Some taught the resurrection was past causing others to give up what they believed (2 Timothy 2:17-18).
- (For everyone): Why would the Devil seek to deceive you into believing false doctrines? Why does the Devil desire to get you to become a follower of man?
- Do you know anyone who has been deceived into believing false doctrine? How has it affected that individual? Has it affected that person’s family, or church?
- Thank God for giving you light concerning the danger of false teaching.
- Ask the Lord to guard you from deception.
SONG: HOLD THE FORT