Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Today’s passage contrasts the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit. The works of the flesh are works done by man in his own strength and abilities; whereas, the fruit of the Spirit is the natural growth in the believer’s life when surrendered to the leading of God’s Spirit. The Bible lists eighteen works of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21) but only one ninefold fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). The fruit of the Spirit includes many wonderful things such as love, joy, and peace. However, meekness remains one of most undervalued characteristics in that list. Similar to the other fruit, meekness should naturally mature in the believer’s life as he yields to the Lord. When a believer lacks meekness, it is because he is not properly surrendered to God’s will.
· (For children): When fruit trees are properly cared for, they produce the desired results. Apple, pear, and peach trees produce juicy fruits. A child of God is nurtured much like those trees when he feeds upon the nourishment of God’s word. One of the results of this growth is meekness.
· (For everyone): Do you recognize the ninefold fruit of the Spirit maturing within your life? Do you yield to the Spirit of God so that He can accomplish the Father’s will in and through your life?
· Are you able to demonstrate meekness when others have mistreated you? Do you find yourself responding vengefully or do you display a supernatural gentleness in the face of adversity?
· Ask the Lord to help you yield to His Spirit.
· Ask God to grow His ninefold fruit in your life.
Song: His Way with Thee