Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
Modern society dictates that everything needs to be fast and ever increasing in speed. If our food, news, communication, and technology are not delivered at lightning speeds, we will look for solutions to end the delay. We lack the patience for any obstacle impeding our instant gratification. Yet, the Bible declares that men need patience (Hebrews 10:36). Where can patience be found in such a fast paced world? God! He alone understands the reality of time, patience, and longsuffering. Not only does He understand, but He wants us to have patience; so much so, that He will, at times, allow difficulties to enter our lives merely for the purpose of teaching us patience. Fortunately, the God who allows the trials also willingly grants the patience to endure any trial.
· (For children): When you are hungry, it is sometimes hard to wait for supper. Regardless, we need to learn to be patient. Mom delays serving the food for our own good. If food isn’t cooked properly, we could get sick. Sometimes we want things from the Lord and He makes us wait. It is always for our own good.
· (For everyone): Do you need patience? Do you endure trials with grace and joy? Do you need to ask God to do a work of patience in your heart? Are you willing to trust Him fully to fulfil this need?
· Have you allowed the pace of this world to fill your mind with doubts concerning the timeliness of the Lord’s aid in your life? Do you believe your doubts are pleasing to the Lord?
· Ask the Lord to give you the patience that you need in order to endure the present difficulties of life.
· Ask God to help you realize that He works in His time.
Song: Day by Day