Psalm 146:5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:
Increasingly prevalent today, it seems more than at any other time in history, man continues to experience a sense of emptiness. Every day, people expend an enormous amount of time, money, and energy in hopes of obtaining this ever elusive goal of being happy. How can a people so desperately intent upon finding happiness find happiness so unreachable? The answer is quite simple. Happiness is not found in entertainment, money, one’s appearance, social acceptance, careers, achievements, spouse, or any other number of things where men continually search for this happiness. Instead, the Bible points out that happiness is attainable for the man “whose hope is in the LORD his God.” Hope can keep a man going when all other wells have run completely dry. Regardless of man’s circumstances, hope can put a song in a man’s heart and praise upon his lips.
- (For children): True joy comes when we hope in what God has done for us and what He has promised in the future. Read 1 Peter 1:3-9 and 2 Corinthians 4:8-17. Nothing else will satisfy like knowing God and having hope of being with Him (Psalm 17:15; Psalm 107:9).
- (For everyone): Are you happy? If not, why not? Have you searched worldly means in hopes of finding happiness? How has the world disappointed you?
- How can hope keep a man happy? How does a lack of hope cause sorrow (i.e., 1 Thessalonians 4:13)? Which would you rather experience on a daily basis?
- Thank the Lord for the hope we have in Him.
- Ask God to show you whether or not you are truly happy.
SONG: JOY UNSPEAKABLE