Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Our previous study revealed that kindness refers to treating someone as a cherished member of the family. The Bible proclaims that God is great in kindness (Nehemiah 9:17). It also reveals that kindness is marvellous (Psalm 31:21) and full of mercy (Psalm 117:2). Believers should be thrilled to know that God demonstrates this kindness toward His beloved creation. By nature, men are the children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). Yet, each person has the opportunity to be treated like a beloved member of God’s family as a result of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross (Titus 3:4). Those who have trusted Christ as Saviour have been granted the inestimable privilege of being “heirs” of God (Titus 3:7) and “joint-heirs” with Christ (Romans 8:17). This blessing, generally intended for and limited to family, is extended to those whom God counts as family.
• (For children): Have you ever lied or disobeyed your mom or dad? That is sin and God cannot allow anyone with unforgiven sin to enter into heaven. Yet, He wants us to be with Him there. He sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins. Isn’t God kind to us?
• (For everyone): Meditate on the kindness of God for a moment. What does it mean to you? What are some benefits of His kindness?
• Have you done anything to merit the kindness of God? Did He see something in you that caused His kindness to fall upon you? How did you receive the Lord’s kindness?
• Take time to thank the Lord for His kindness toward you.
• Ask the Lord to help you see His kindness on a daily basis.
SONG: The Love of God