Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
When man shuns God’s word, he passes up his only hope for knowing what sin is and how it affects him both now and for all eternity. This helps to understand why men have lowered God’s standards and decided to accept things once labeled as sin. These sins are now called “alternate lifestyles” or “matters of opinion” rather than referring to them as sin. According to the scripture, it is the very law of God that provides man with the knowledge of what sin is (Romans 3:20). That law was never designed to boost man’s ego for keeping it, but rather, to give man a more perfect understanding of his guilt before God (Romans 3:19). According to Paul, he would not have known sin, but by the law (Romans 7:7-9).
• (For children): Because of man’s sinful nature, God gave us a set of rules to distinguish right from wrong along with how to treat Him and others (Galatians 3:19a; Romans 4:15b). Because God has provided us with the truth, we have no excuse for not knowing what God expects of each of us (Psalm 19:7-11; Psalm 119:11).
• (For everyone): How do you know about sin? How would your life be different if you had never heard or read the word of God? How did the Bible, although at times wounding you, improve you as a person?
• What are some passages the Lord used to show you that you were a sinner? Have you thanked God for that knowledge?
• Ask the Lord to continue to identify your sins through His law.
• Thank God for the knowledge He has given you.
SONG: MAJESTIC SWEETNESS SITS ENTHRONED