Numbers 12:1 And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.
2 And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it.
3 (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)
The Bible reveals many instances of Moses coming under attack for trying to obey God while leading others through the wilderness. His consistent response reveals why God said that he was meeker than any man upon the face of the earth. The vast majority of times Moses responded to others in the spirit of gentleness. Today’s passage reveals one such episode when Aaron and Miriam verbally attacked Moses for marrying an Ethiopian woman. Moses did not respond to their criticisms but instead pleaded for their wellbeing after the Lord brought judgment upon them. This was not the only instance of a personal attack upon Moses. In fact, it is quite common for God’s messengers to be attacked when acting as a spiritual leader of others. Yet, Moses’ recurring response is found in the book of Numbers, “And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face” (Numbers 16:4). Consistently, Moses prayed on the behalf of his accusers.
· (For children): Sometimes people in our own home and at church do not treat us right or speak nicely to us. Instead of striking back at them, God wants us to be more like Moses as he prayed for his brother and sister although they were mean to him.
· (For everyone): Have you ever been attacked by others simply for doing the right things? How did you respond when they said untrue things about you? How did you want to respond?
· What would you have done if you were in Moses’ position? Would and could you have responded like him? Why do you think Moses responded with gentleness? Why did he pray for those who afflicted him?
· Ask the Lord to give you meekness like that of Moses.
· Ask the Lord to help you respond properly to criticism.
Song: Have I Done My Best for Jesus?