1 Corinthians 16:15 I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)
God designed and willed for the Christian home and the local body of believers to function as two of the closest experiences to heaven on this side of eternity. As believers, we ought to love one another (John 13:34-35) and serve one another by that love (Galatians 5:13). Rather than backbiting and devouring each other (Galatians 5:15), believers ought to give themselves to ministering to each other. In Paul’s epistle to the Corinthian believers, God led Paul to mention a family addicted to the ministry. At some point, this family decided to sacrifice their own gain for the sake of ministering to others. Because of this commitment, the Bible says that Stephanas refreshed the spirit of other believers.
- (For children): God wants us to help our church family (Galatians 6:10). Read how Onesiphorus was a friend to the apostle Paul (2 Timothy 1:16-18). The Lord gives us other ideas how to help too (Matthew 25:35-36). He will remember your kindness (Hebrews 6:10).
- (For everyone): Do you know of any brothers or sisters in Christ who are spiritually going through difficult times? What could you do to minister to them? Are you willing to do what you can?
- What are some sacrifices that you might have to make in order to minister to others? Which is more important in eternity: the things you sacrificed or the ministering that you have done for others?
- Ask God to give you a heart for ministering to others.
- Ask the Lord to give you a servant’s heart.