James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Most Christians think of faith as something mysterious—unable to be defined, seen, or proven. The average person might claim to have faith, but scripture provides a definitive test where an individual can know if he possesses scriptural faith. The fact is that true faith ALWAYS moves people to action. This truth is manifested throughout scripture but nowhere more emphatically as Hebrews chapter 11. BY FAITH… Abel offered (Hebrews 11:4), Abraham obeyed (Hebrews 11:8), Isaac blessed (Hebrews 11:20), Moses refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter (Hebrews 11:24), and so forth. True faith always moves people to action. Consider this practical application. If someone cried out in a crowded building that the building was on fire, the response of the hearers would demonstrate their faith or the lack thereof. Those who remain testify that they do not believe the report; those who act upon what they have heard demonstrate their faith in that report. How’s your faith?
· (For children): Ephesians 6:1-3 instructs children to obey their parents. The results of faithful obedience are found in verse 3. If you have faith that God means what He says, you will act upon that belief by obeying the Bible.
· (For everyone): What has faith moved you to do lately? Has it moved you to witness? Has it moved you to give more for the work of the Lord? Has it moved you to pray more? If it hasn’t moved you, it is because you don’t have the faith that you should.
· What do you think the Lord would have you to do? What stops you from doing it? What is hindering your obedience? Will you forsake your unbelief and take God at His word?
· Ask God to show you if you lack true faith.
· Ask God to increase your faith so that you can obey and please Him.
SONG: Faith Is the Victory!