Genesis 33:1 And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids.
2 And he put the handmaids and their children foremost, and Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph hindermost.
3 And he passed over before them, and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
4 And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.
5 And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant.
6 Then the handmaidens came near, they and their children, and they bowed themselves.
7 And Leah also with her children came near, and bowed themselves: and after came Joseph near and Rachel, and they bowed themselves.
A normal man naturally desires to protect what God has given to him. Jacob was not always the best example of godliness, but he had the right desire to protect his family from harm. The Bible reveals to us how he reacted when he could see his brother Esau approaching. Unsure of how this reunion might disintegrate into harm, Jacob divided his family with the most precious at the rear. As his family’s protector, Jacob led the caravan. If there was going to be trouble, he would have an opportunity to intervene offering his family an opportunity to flee for safety. According to Ephesians 5:25, a man’s protection should include a willingness to lay down his life for his wife. A godly man will always intercede between his home and the impending danger.
- (For children): Noah protected his family by believing God and obediently building the ark (Genesis 7:5, 7). God made men stronger than women (1 Peter 3:7). Women need help and protection both physically (Genesis 29:7-10; Exodus 2:16-19; Mark 16:1-3) and spiritually (1 Timothy 2:12-14).
- (For everyone): Do those in your home feel safe? Why or why not? Do you have someone who would willingly provide protection in the unfortunate case that trouble comes?
- What are some ways in which a husband and father can protect those within his home? Is this protection always physical, or should he protect them spiritually and emotionally too?
- Thank the Lord for giving you a protector.
- Ask the Lord to help you be a good protector.
SONG: FOLLOW ON