Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Sin within a person’s life messes with man’s conscience. It begins by attacking man’s knowledge of God with the end goal of causing a complete rejection of God. Sinful man turns to many different devices in hopes of taking care of his sin-tainted conscience. He may seek to pacify his conscience by doing religious works. He also may try to forget that his conscience has been corrupted by a further turning toward the pleasures of sin. In both cases, he is left with a conscience in need of purging. Where can man turn to find the purging he so strongly desires? According to the Bible, only the blood of Jesus Christ can purge a man’s conscience from dead works to serve the living God (Hebrews 9:14).
• (For children): Paul did many things against the people of God before he got saved (Acts 22:19-20). He wrote about how to be saved and he knew he was forgiven (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Colossians 1:14). Paul did not let his past hinder his service (Philippians 3:13-14).
• (For everyone): Do you have a conscience that has been attacked by sin? Have you called upon the Lord Jesus Christ to save you and allow His blood to purge your conscience?
• How do religious works fall short of purging the conscience? How do the works of the flesh only further complicate the problem with man’s conscience?
• Thank God for the purging you have through the blood of Christ.
• Ask the Lord to help you serve Him better.
SONG: ARE YOU WASHED IN THE BLOOD?