Psalm 34:3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
Marriage is a lifelong invitation to serve the Lord together and strengthen one another in that service. God instituted marriage so that man would not have to be alone. Every groom was to enter into marriage for the purpose of glorifying God with his spouse. The context of Psalm 34 does not directly refer to marriage, but verse 3 provides an amazing invitation that should be presented to every couple entering into the marriage relationship. A young man should ask a young lady to marry him because he believes that they can better magnify the Lord as a couple rather than individually. If the Lord wills, it is an invitation to bear children and train them up in such a way that the next generation would likewise desire to magnify the Lord.
- (For children): Zacharias and Elisabeth had a marriage that glorified God (Luke 1:5-6). Likewise, their son John (the Baptist) also glorified God (Luke 1:13-17).
- (For everyone): What are some ways in which two believers unified in marriage can better glorify the Lord than a single believer? How can they strengthen each other during tough times?
- What should a married couple do to ensure that they magnify the Lord? How can they reach other couples for the Lord? How can they work to ensure the holiness of future generations?
- Ask the Lord to help your home magnify Him.
- Ask God to help your children have homes that glorify Him.