Proverbs 31:25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
A good wife and mother will exemplify a type of selflessness like no one else upon the earth. Proverbs offers a wonderful examination into her life and ways. Her life is one of sacrifice, often putting the needs and wants of her household ahead of her own. She labours to take care of her family (Proverbs 31:16-19). She looks well to the ways of her household while enjoying little to no idle time (Proverbs 31:27). Yet at day’s end, she rises up to give meat to her household (Proverbs 31:15). All the while, she can open her mouth with wisdom with the law of kindness in her tongue (Proverbs 31:26). The Bible points to her only reward as the praise of her husband and children (Proverbs 31:28). This reward may seem insignificant to the world, but to her the love of her family is both sufficient and worth the effort.
- (For children): Name some of the things that your mother does for you from the time you get up in the morning until the time you go back to bed. A godly mother always has something to do: she takes care of the home (Titus 2:5); she teaches and brings up children (Proverbs 31:1; 1 Timothy 5:10); she guides the home (1 Timothy 5:14); she comforts her children (Isaiah 66:13).
- (For everyone): Consider the actions of the two women in 1 Kings 3:26. Which one exemplified a godly love for the child? Do you as a wife and mother in your home exemplify this kind of selflessness?
- What was Moses’ mother willing to sacrifice to insure the well-being of Moses (Exodus 2:3)? What are you willing to sacrifice for the sake of those within your household?
- Thank the Lord for the godly wife/mother in your home.
- Ask God to give you a selfless heart.
SONG: IS YOUR ALL ON THE ALTAR?