Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Christians in every age have faced varied battles ranging from small skirmishes to life ending combat. God’s word tells the believer to equip himself as a good soldier of Jesus Christ (2 Timothy 2:3) by putting on “the whole armour of God.” This armour enables those engulfed in the battle to “stand against the wiles of the devil.” The apostle Paul identifies this armour and the importance of every element. Interestingly, as he refers to “the shield of faith,” he mentions taking it “above all.” Faith, though often overlooked, remains a crucial element within the saint’s spiritual arsenal. The Bible drives home this truth by pointing out that the shield of faith can “quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” Without faith, the believer stands exposed and vulnerable. It is utterly impossible to “be strong in the Lord” apart from a steadfast faith in God and His word. While the sword (the Bible) works on the offense, faith protects and shields.
· (For children): Jesus quoted Bible back to the Devil when he tried to get Him to do wrong. What Bible verse could you use if the Devil sought to get you to disobey mom or dad? (See Colossians 3:20)
· (For everyone): Today’s passage likens faith to a shield. In what ways do you think that faith works like a shield in the life of a believer? A shield held by a warrior protects him from external and internal injuries. How does the shield of faith protect the believer?
· Can you think of times when you were wounded in spiritual battle? Did your faith at that time tend to strengthen or weaken your resolve? Does that explain why you were wounded?
· Ask God to build your faith enabling supernatural protection during battle.
· Ask God to clearly reveal the dangers of the spiritual battle we face.
SONG: Faith Is the Victory!