John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Murder is an act of hatred that comes from the heart of man (Matthew 15:19; Mark 7:21). Man, however, is not the first to invent such evil thoughts. According to John 8:44, the Devil “was a murderer from the beginning.” The Lord gave His own life to save whosoever would come to Him, but the Devil takes the lives of others in order to further his agenda. Consider this great contrast between the Lord and Satan. The Lord places such a high value upon the lives of others that He gave His own Son. The Devil puts so much value in himself that he seeks to take the lives of others. When one man murders another, he is actively fulfilling the will and work of the Devil.
• (For children): We are no match for the Devil (Luke 22:31; 1 Peter 5:8). Hatred begins in the heart (Leviticus 19:17a). The Devil wants hatred to lead to murder. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not, but it is still sin (Genesis 27:41; Acts 23:12; John 13:2, 27).
• (For everyone): Why is it important to learn about the origin of murder? Whose purpose and desire is one fulfilling when he carries out a murder? Whose will is opposed by the murder of an innocent person?
• How is capital punishment diametrically opposed to murder? Who is the source of murder? Who is the source of capital punishment? Why is capital punishment sometimes necessary?
• Ask the Lord to guard you from the purposes and desires of Satan.
• Ask God to turn the hearts of those who would murder others.
SONG: YIELD NOT TO TEMPTATION