Genesis 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
As the head of the home, the man bares the responsibility for the biblical training of every individual within his home. Yet, many homes today have no man in them. Regardless of society’s disintegration, there is never a time when the man ever relinquishes his accountability to God as the spiritual leader of his home. In today’s passage, we read of Abraham bearing his personal responsibility. According to God’s testimony, Abraham bore that responsibility well. The Lord testified that Abraham would command his children and household after him. Abraham’s family would keep the way of the LORD and would do justice and judgment. Unfortunately, the same cannot be expressed for far too many modern Christian homes. In fact, church pews are overflowing with faithful women while their men are absentee husbands expressing little to no interest in the things of God.
- (For children): To nurture means to train. Read Ephesians 6:4. To whom did God give the responsibility of training up children concerning the things of the Lord? Timothy’s father was not a believer (Acts 16:1); therefore, his mother took the responsibility of training young Timothy (2 Timothy 1:5; 2 Timothy 3:15).
- (For everyone): Who is the spiritual leader of your home? Do you have a home where there is no husband/father or one where he shows little interest in the things of God? If so, how can you help the situation?
- With leadership comes responsibility. How is the spiritual leader accountable to God? Who will answer to the Lord for the biblical principles taught within the home?
- Ask the Lord to strengthen the spiritual leader in your home.
- Ask God for strength to follow His order for your home.