1 Timothy 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.
3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.
6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.
7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
The preacher of God’s words has many responsibilities. One such responsibility concerns his obligation to charge believers to live their lives in such a way that they may be void of blame. Paul gave Timothy instructions concerning one’s treatment of other believers (especially widows). This is not the only scriptural admonition to avoid blame. In fact, the scripture is filled with instructions dealing with other subjects meant to help the believer avoid being justly blamed. God instructed the man of God to teach and preach these truths in order to guide the believer. It remains each believer’s responsibility to believe the words of God and live in accordance with those words so as not to bring reproach upon the name or cause of Christ.
- (For children): Read Titus 2:1, 11-12, 15. Paul told Titus to ensure that the people got the message. He was to constantly emphasize the message (Titus 3:8). Believers need to hear and obey (Ephesians 4:1-3; Hebrews 13:17; James 1:22).
- (For everyone): Do you heed the commandments of God in such a way as to avoid blame? Do you heed the Lord’s leading through the preaching and teaching of His word?
- The Lord gave man His word in order to help each of us to live lives void of blame. Do you put yourself into positions to hear and read those words so that they can properly work in your heart and affect your life?
- Thank God for those who instruct you through the word of God.
- Ask God to give you wisdom to heed His words.
SONG: WHOLLY THINE (HAWKS)