John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
The world is full of ideas, theories, and teachings, yet each individual must conscientiously separate the truth from all the confusion. In order to do so, man must first recognize the only proper authority for truth’s existence. As Pilate stood before the Lord doubting truth’s very existence, he asked the all-important question, “What is truth?” Of course, the Lord answered this question before the question was ever asked when He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). In like manner, as today’s verse indicates, the word of God is truth. The authority for truth must be God and His perfect word. Every teaching must be compared with it to validate or deny its accuracy. Simply put, apart from God and His holy word, there exists no other true and infallible authority.
- (For children): No one likes to be lied to, and fortunately God cannot lie (Titus 1:2). He wrote the Bible (2 Peter 1:21; 2 Timothy 3:16a) and it, too, is completely true (Psalm 119:160a) and without error. You can trust what He says. The psalmist tells us that is why he loved God’s word (Psalm 119:163).
- (For everyone): What is your authority? Do you accept things based upon your feelings or based upon your opinions or that of others? Do you check the things you hear or believe against the scripture?
- What happens when your opinion or way of life contradicts the scripture? Which one do you accept as truth? If it is not the Bible, then the Bible is not your authority.
- Ask the Lord to help you have the proper authority.
- Ask God to give you a stronger faith in His word.
SONG: THE BIBLE STANDS