Daniel 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
Christians seem to be getting ever busier and yet living spiritually less productive lives. It is dangerous to neglect taking the time to give God thanks. A cursory prayer at mealtime will not suffice to show God your gratitude. The Bible has many instances where men set aside specific times for the giving of thanks to God. For instance, the Bible refers to giving of thanks in the morning and again in the evening (1 Chronicles 23:30). Have you ever resolved to give God thanks first thing in the morning and again before retiring for the day? How would our walk with the Lord be different if we aspired to focus on thankfulness first thing in the morning and again the last thing in the evening? Another passage speaks of a man rising at midnight to give God thanks (Psalm 119:62). The Bible then talks of Daniel who took the time to give God thanks three times a day (Daniel 6:10). Christians should make time for thanksgiving on a daily basis!
- (For children): Count the rooms in your house. Name a few things found in each room for which you are thankful. Thank the Lord for these blessings. Can you do the same thing with your family members by giving thanks to God for them? Be sure to also thank them for how they have blessed your life.
- (For everyone): Do you spend time daily thanking the Lord for His goodness toward you? If not, is it because He fails you or because you do not appreciate Him like you should?
- Do you thank others when they do nice things for you? Why do we find it easier to take time to thank others, yet difficult to make time to thank the Lord?
- Ask God to help you get in the habit of thanking Him.
- Ask the Lord to show you reasons for which you should be thankful.
Song: Count Your Blessings