2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
The sorry state of biblical spirituality in the world today clearly reflects the fact that too many people think far too highly of their levels of discernment. In fact, many of the most beloved teachers when compared to the Bible would be considered false teachers. Yet, scriptural ignorance insures that the masses will never realize the extent of the deception. For this reason, multitudes are led away from faith in the words of God. The apostle Paul insured that believers are warned of the impending dangers by pointing out that Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14). For this reason, believers should not marvel when his followers are also “transformed as the ministers of righteousness” (2 Corinthians 11:15). This should serve as a sober warning to the saints of God that the Devil has his minions doing his bidding. In fact, they tend to be the most expressly and outwardly religious. These people serve Satan within churches all over the world with the sole purpose of leading people astray.
- (For children): The book of Acts says the Bereans searched the scriptures daily to see if what Paul and Silas were preaching was true (Acts 17:10-11). Read what Jesus said about false teachers (Matthew 7:15). God wants us to be like the Bereans who measured all truth according to what saith the scriptures.
- (For everyone): If Satan’s ministers can be transformed into ministers of righteousness, how can the saints of God identify those propagating false doctrine?
- Why is it important that believers have the scripture as their authority in all matters? What happens when we become followers of men (even if those men are currently following the scripture)?
- Ask the Lord to protect your church from false teachers.
- Ask God to give you discernment concerning error.
SONG: WHO IS ON THE LORD’S SIDE?